Place de l'Indépendance Senegal Dakar Public Square
The Place de l’Indépendance is a large public square situated in the center of the Senegalese capital of Dakar. Completed in 1960 upon the country’s independence, the square stands at the entrance of the broad Plateau district, one of the cultural and economic hubs of the city. Before independence, the square was known as Place d’Armes. Its decoration features monuments and flags in recognition of the newly free nation.
Place de l'Indépendance Senegal Dakar Public Square Summary
- Attraction Name: Place de l’Indépendance
- Country: Senegal
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Dakar
- Language: French
- Currency: West African CFA franc
- Nationality: Senegalese
Place de l’Indépendance is a must-visit if you are visiting Senegal. It is the site where Senegal declared their independence from France in 1960. It is a symbol of national pride, and serves as an important cultural and historical landmark. It is a beautiful place to explore and provides visitors with an appreciation of Senegali culture and its history.
Tell us about Place de l'Indépendance Senegal
Place de l’Indépendance (Independence Square) is located in the heart of Dakar, Senegal’s capital. It lies in the middle of the city, and its surrounding buildings house much of the government and administrative power of the West African nation. The area is a popular tourist destination, with many attractions and monuments, as well as plenty of shopping, dining and cultural experiences.
The Place de l’Indépendance Senegal is a traditional meeting place, and hosts various events, from political rallies to joyous celebrations. In its center sit two monuments, one celebrating Senegal’s independence in 1960 and the other honoring the African Union. It also has lush gardens with exotic plants and trees, providing an oasis of greenery in the bustling city.
What are the things to do in Place de l'Indépendance Senegal?
The Place de l’Indépendance, known as the Independence Square, is one of the most popular tourist spots in Senegal. Located within the city of Dakar, the capital of Senegal, it is a traditional center of wining, dining, shopping, and sightseeing that attract thousands of tourists every year. It is most recognizable by its giant 500-foot-tall African Renaissance Monument which is the tallest statue in Africa. Here are some of the top things to do while in Place de l’Indépendance Senegal:
- Visit the African Renaissance Monument: No visit to Senegal’s most famous landmark is complete without getting an up-close view of the African Renaissance Monument, a 500-foot-tall monument built to honor the African people’s struggle for freedom and justice. The tower offers incredible 360-degree panoramic views of the bustling city of Dakar and the surrounding coastline.
- Shop at the Soumbédioune Market: Offering the best in African products, from jewelry to art and fabrics, the colorful Soumbédioune Market is a great place for tourists to pick up a unique souvenir or two. From traditional African jewelry to Moroccan and Senegalese items like clay pottery, wood carvings and musical instruments, the market has something for everyone.
- Take a Tour of the Presidential Palace: Many visitors also flock to the Place de l’Indépendance Senegal to take part in the guided tours of the Presidential Palace, a building that has long been a symbol of Senegal’s political independence. There are also guided tours available of the Dakar National Museum, a treasure trove of African art, artifacts and history.
- Enjoy Live Music on the Streets: The streets around the Place de l’Indépendance often come alive with music and entertainment. Sometimes a street-corner orator will share a story, and musicians can be found strumming away on a variety of traditional and contemporary instruments.
- Dine at a Local Restaurant: The Place de l’Independance has some of the most popular restaurants and bars Senegal has to offer. From traditional Senegalese cuisine to gourmet international dishes, the street kitchens and cozy bistros of the area offer plenty of options for anyone looking for a delicious meal.
What are the best foods at Place de l'Indépendance Senegal?
Some of the best foods at Place de l’Indépendance Senegal include grilled lamb, porridge with peanuts, fresh mango juice, grilled kebabs, and chicken yassa. Other popular dishes include seafood stews, omelets, couscous, beef stew, and beef and vegetable tagines.
What are the best hotels to stay in Place de l'Indépendance Senegal?
The best hotels to stay in Place de l’Indépendance are:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Dakar Sea Plaza
- King Fahd Palace
- Ocean Bay Hotel
- SineSaloum Eco Resort & Spa
- Golden Tulip Dakar
- Jardin de la Mer
- Radisson Blu Resort & Thalasso
- King’s Palace
- Hotel Ibis Dakar Sea Plaza
- Auberge des Manguiers
What is the next tourist destination after you visit Place de l'Indépendance Senegal Dakar Public Square?
The next best attractions in Senegal you must visit are:
- Dakar-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport
- African Renaissance Monument
- Gorée Island
- Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary
- Lac Rose
- Sine-Saloum Delta
- La Petite Cote
- Musée Théodore Monod
- Parc National des Oiseaux du Djoudj
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!