Mt Meru Tanzania Active Stratovolcano Arusha Region
Mt Meru is an active stratovolcano located in the Arusha region of Tanzania. Towering at 4,565 meters, Mt. Meru is the fifth highest mountain in Africa and is known for its incredible beauty and unique biodiversity. From its summit, visitors can enjoy breathtaking views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the Muchare and North Pare Mountains.
Mt Meru Tanzania Active Stratovolcano Arusha Region Summary
- Attraction Name: Mt Meru
- Country: Tanzania
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Dodoma
- Language: Swahili and English (de facto)
- Currency: Tanzanian Shilling
- Nationality: Tanzanian
Mt Meru is the second-highest mountain in Tanzania and one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country. Its beautiful landscapes and majestic views of Kilimanjaro serve as the perfect backdrop for nature lovers, photographers, and outdoor enthusiasts. The mountain is also home to numerous endemic species of plants, birds and animals, making it an important part of the country’s natural heritage. A visit to Mt Meru offers visitors the chance to experience the Tanzanian rainforest, an incredible hike, and a spectacular view of Kilimanjaro.
Tell us about Mt Meru Tanzania
Mt. Meru is a dormant volcano located in Tanzania and is the second highest peak in the country after Kilimanjaro. It rises to an elevation of 4,566 meters and is the highest point of the Arusha region. The mountain is surrounded by several billowing clouds and is known for its spectacular display of rainbows, which make it one of the most popular sites in Tanzania. Mt. Meru is part of the larger national park, Arusha National Park, and is a popular destination for hikers, trekkers, and mountaineers.
The summit is accessible to climbers of all abilities, but an experienced guide is highly recommended for more difficult routes to the top. Activities such as game viewing and bird watching can also be enjoyed in the park, as well as an abundance of wildlife.
What are the things to do in Mt Meru Tanzania?
Mt Meru is Tanzania’s second highest mountain and is located within the Arusha National Park. At 4,566 metres, it’s more than a thousand metres shorter than Kilimanjaro, but still offers plenty of activities, scenery and wildlife. Here are just a few of the things to do in Mt Meru and its surroundings:
- Hike Up Mt Meru: Take on the challenge of hiking up Mt Meru, one of the most popular things to do in the area. This is a great way to learn about the local culture and get stunning views of the stunning landscape.
- Explore the Arusha National Park: This beautiful park is home to a wide variety of wildlife and vegetation, and is great for viewing zebras, giraffes, buffalos, baboons and more.
- Take a Safari: Take a jeep or horseback safari in Mt Meru and the surrounding area to get a closer look at the sights and sounds.
- Visit the Maasai Village: The Maasai are a traditional tribe from Tanzania and long-time inhabitants of the area. Visit a Maasai village and learn more about their culture, as well as their traditional dance, singing and more.
- Visit a Coffee Plantation: There are numerous coffee plantations in the area, allowing you to take a guided tour of the plantations and learn more about the coffee-making process, as well as enjoy a traditional cup of homegrown java.
- Enjoy the Hot Springs: Sit back and relax at the natural hot springs near the Arusha National Park.
- Participate in Archery: Archery is a popular recreational activity in the area, allowing you to practice shooting at targets while enjoying the natural beauty of Mt Meru.
- Swimming & Water Sports: There is also plenty of swimming and water-based activities available in Mt Meru, such as kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and swimming.
Whichever activity you choose, you are sure to enjoy the unforgettable experience of Mt Meru.
What are the best foods at Mt Meru Tanzania?
The best foods at Mt Meru include the location’s traditional African dishes, such as grilled tilapia, ugali, chapati, and pilau. Additionally, many of the hotel’s eateries serve popular Indian, Chinese, and Italian cuisines.
What are the best hotels to stay in Mt Meru Tanzania?
The best hotels to stay in Mt Meru are:
- Arumeru River Lodge
- The Retreat at Maramboi
- Kili Villas
- Kajireni Guest House
- Mount Meru Hotel
- Impala Hotel
- KIA Lodge
- Rivertrees Country Inn
- Serena Mountain Village
- Ngare Sero Mountain Lodge
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Tanzania you must visit are:
- Serengeti National Park
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Ngorongoro Crater
- Selous Game Reserve
- Mahale Mountains National Park
- Gombe Stream National Park
- Olduvai Gorge
- Lake Manyara National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!