Hwange National Park Zimbabwe Largest Game Reserve
Hwange National Park Zimbabwe Largest Game Reserve Summary
- Attraction Name: Hwange National Park
- Country: Zimbabwe
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Harare
- Language: Shona, Ndebele, English
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Nationality: Zimbabwean
Hwange National Park Zimbabwe is one of the largest parks in Africa and a must-visit destination for any wildlife enthusiast. It is home to an incredible variety of wildlife, including the “Big 5” African mammals — the lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo, and leopard.
Visitors to the park have the opportunity to observe the animals in their natural habitats, as well as experience the beauty of the landscapes, including grasslands, woodlands, saltpans, sandveld and acacia thickets. Additionally, guided tours offer the chance to learn more about the history, culture and environment of the area, plus about conservation efforts to save the endangered species that call the park home.
Tell us about Hwange National Park Zimbabwe
Hwange National Park is one of the largest and most well-known national parks in Zimbabwe. It covers an area of over 14,600 km² and is located in the west of the country, close to the border with Botswana. It is home to some of the largest populations of elephants, lions and other iconic African wildlife, making it a popular destination for safaris. The park is also rich in cultural and archeological history, with evidence of early human settlement dating back to the Stone Age.
Visitors come to experience the unique bushland and its resident wildlife, and to take advantage of the game viewing and photo opportunities. Hwange National Park also offers a range of accommodation, including campsites and lodges, as well as tours and activities to get closer to the wild.
What are the things to do in Hwange National Park Zimbabwe?
Hwange National Park is a wildlife sanctuary in western Zimbabwe renowned for its wide variety of flora and fauna. This expansive national park, covering an area of nearly 14,650 square kilometers, is the largest in Zimbabwe and home to over 100 species of mammals and nearly 400 species of birds. Here, visitors can partake in all sorts of exciting activities, from game viewing and bird watching to walking safaris and canoeing excursions. Here are a few of the top things to do in Hwange National Park:
- Game Viewing: Game viewing in Hwange National Park is a memorable experience. The park is home to elephant, rhino, buffalo, hyena, penguin, leopard, and countless other species. Visitors can observe the wildlife in the park on various guided game drives, while being careful not to disturb the animals.
- Bird Watching: Hwange National Park is a paradise for birders. Nearly 400 species call this park home, including the endangered bald ibis, rhinoceros hornbill, fish eagle, and many more. Experienced guides can lead bird watching tours throughout the park.
- Cultural Tours: Hwange National Park offers visitors the unique opportunity to observe and explore the local culture first-hand. Take part in a traditional village tour where you can get to know the locals and learn about the history and culture of the area.
- Canoeing Excursions: There are a variety of canoes available for hire at the park, giving visitors the chance to canoe through the rivers and delta of Hwange in search of wildlife. Spot animals such as elephants, hippos, and crocodiles as you cruise through the park.
- Walking Safaris: A great way to explore the park’s flora and fauna up close is to partake in a walking safari. Professional guides take visitors on guided walks, allowing them to explore the area in their own time and search for elusive wildlife at the same time.
These are only a few of the incredible activities awaiting those who wish to explore the wonders of Hwange National Park. Whether you’re an avid bird watcher or wish to observe the park’s large variety of wildlife, Hwange National Park is an unforgettable destination.
What are the best foods at Hwange National Park Zimbabwe?
The best foods at Hwange National Park Zimbabwe
- BBQ Impala
- Warthog Grill
- Hwange Goulash
- Elephant Stew
- Buffalo Burger
- Popcorn Crocodile Tail
- Mopane Worm Curry
- Kudu Pie
- Elephant Meatloaf
- Wild Boar Kebabs
What are the best hotels to stay in Hwange National Park Zimbabwe?
The best hotels to stay in Hwange National Park are:
- The Hide Safari Camp
- Nehimba Lodge
- Hwange Safari Lodge
- Ivory Safari Lodge
- Main Camp Safari Camp
- Hwange Bush Lodge
- Gaby’s Safari Lodge
- Hwange Tree Camp
- Beyond Ngama Safari Lodge
- Coyote Pan Safari Lodge
What is the next tourist destination after you visit Hwange National Park Zimbabwe Largest Game Reserve?
The best attractions in Zimbabwe you must visit are:
- Victoria Falls
- Great Zimbabwe National Monument
- Lake Kariba
- Mana Pools National Park
- Matobo National Park
- Chimanimani National Park
- Nyanga National Park
- Zambezi River
- Chimanimani Mountains
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!