Swakopmund Namibia Coastal City Atlantic Ocean
Swakopmund is a coastal city in Namibia, situated on the Atlantic Ocean. Its historic German colonial architecture features a blend of German and African influences and has attracted a large tourism industry. Swakopmund’s jagged coastline is dotted with lagoons and salt pans, providing a scenic setting for various outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and quad-biking. Witness the beauty of Namibia while enjoying the city’s unique shopping, dining and nightlife.
Swakopmund Namibia Coastal City Atlantic Ocean Summary
- Attraction Name: Swakopmund
- Country: Namibia
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Windhoek
- Language: English
- Currency: Namibia dollar (symbol: N$; code: NAD)
- Nationality: Namibian
Swakopmund is an ideal destination for those looking for an adventure-filled holiday in Namibia. It is home to a variety of activities, such as dune boarding, sandboarding, skydiving, quad biking and whale watching. The city also boasts an incredible coastal location and a range of activities that make exploring the area enjoyable and exciting.
Visitors will find excellent restaurants, craft markets, and modern shopping centres. The city’s historical buildings and monuments make for interesting explorations, and it is within easy reach of the Namib Desert, creating endless opportunities for outdoor activities.
Tell us about Swakopmund Namibia
Swakopmund is a city on the coast of Namibia. It is the largest city in the Erongo region of Namibia and is a popular tourist destination. The city lies in the shadow of the Brandberg Mountain and is known for its German-style architecture, as German colonists founded the town in 1892. Swakopmund also offers visitors a variety of activities like fishing, surfing, sand-skiing, and quad biking in the vast Namib Desert. The town also provides local and international cuisine, multiple museums, and an established network of souvenir shops.
What are the things to do in Swakopmund Namibia?
The things to do in Swakopmund are:
- Enjoy a Desert Adventure – Swakopmund is the main tourist town in Namibia and the perfect spot to enjoy a desert adventure. The coastal desert region gives the perfect backdrop for desert safaris, quad bike rides, hot air balloon rides and so much more.
- Visit the Swakopmund Jetty – Visit the historic Swakopmund Jetty, a historic landmark with its terracotta bricks and fine wooden canopy. It overlooks the beautiful Swakop River, creating the ideal backdrop for a romantic view.
- Go Sandboarding – Skip the lunch break at the office, and try sandboarding on the beautiful dunes that surround Swakopmund. Skim across the golden dunes on a sand boards and let adrenaline pump as you fly down the dunes.
- Explore Moon Landscape – Experience the Namib Desert on a 4×4 Safari, exploring the remarkable one-of-a-kind lunar landscape of the desert. Drive through the inner dunes, from the sea to the huge sand dunes where the stillness of the moon dominate the scenery.
- Hang out in Town – Spend time exploring the small coastal town and visit some of the old colonial buildings as well as unique galleries and cafes. Shop for souvenirs at the weekly flea market, enjoy a cup of coffee at one of the cafés and take in the local atmosphere.
- Visit the Museums – Swakopmund is known for its many museums, ranging from maritime and museum to a railway museum, making a great spot to visit while you’re in town. Visit the local aquarium, the museum of the Curio Traders, the National Marine Museum and more.
- Wildlife Viewing – The Welwitschia- and gaesebves-vlei are located inland from Swakopmund at the Kuiseb Delta and are two of the most scenic spots in town. The area is a wetland and bird viewing paradise, home to flamingos and other wild animals, including buck and baboons.
- Take it Easy with the Walvis Bay Cruise – Visit the nearby coastal town of Walvis Bay with a luxurious catamaran cruise. Enjoy a cold drink as you sail past Pelicans and Dolphins, whales, and unique desert vegetation.
- Dune Lodge – Join an evening tour of the Dune Lodge where you’ll be taken for game drives and incredible views of the desert landscape. The lodge is located within the dunes, offering visitors an enchanting night of observing the desert stars.
- Kayaking and Canoeing – Try your luck at kayaking and canoeing through the lagoon of the Kuiseb Delta, or the salt pans near Pelican Point. Get up close and personal with nature as you paddle beneath the misty Delta sky and explore the hidden secrets of the ocean.
What are the best foods at Swakopmund Namibia?
Some of the best foods to try at Swakopmund include freshly caught seafood dishes such as ‘Rkate’ – a spicy seafood stew usually made with white fish, ‘Kabeljou’ – braised cod, ‘Geelstert’ – dried cuttlefish and Poffertjes – an indulgent Dutch-style mini pancakes served with syrup and powdered sugar.
Swakopmund is also known for its selection of freshly made schnitzel dishes, salads, artisanal cheeses and a variety of traditional German sausages. Vegetarian options are also available, such as the ‘Bouillabaisse’, a creamy vegetable stew with potatoes and vegetables.
What are the best hotels to stay in Swakopmund Namibia?
The best hotels to stay in Swakopmund are:
- Hotel Zum Kaiser
- Swakopmund Hotel and Entertainment Centre
- Strand Hotel
- Swakopmund Boutique Hotel
- Aviator Hotel
- Hotel Eberwein
- Mondesa Condor Hotel
- Strand Gran Royal Hotel
- Swakopmund Rest Camp
- Hotel Eberwein Beach Lodge
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Namibia you must visit are:
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Skeleton Coast
- Caprivi Strip
- Twyfelfontein Rock Art Sites
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!