Carnival Montevideo Uruguay
The Carnival Montevideo is one of the most popular and vibrant street festivals in South America, drawing huge crowds every year. The event features parades, live music, decorated floats, traditional dances, and food stalls selling local delicacies. The streets of Montevideo come alive during Carnival with an exciting atmosphere, as people from all walks of life come together to celebrate. The event is an unforgettable part of the city’s culture, and a great way to explore the unique history and flavor of Uruguay.
Carnival Montevideo Uruguay Street Festival Summary
- Attraction: Carnival Montevideo Uruguay
- Country: Uruguay
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Montevideo
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Peso Uruguayo
- Nationality: Uruguayans
Carnival Montevideo Uruguay is one of the longest-running and most popular carnivals in the world. It is a spectacular show of pageantry, creativity, and music that people from all around the globe come to witness. This festival has been celebrated since 1830 and is known for its vibrant atmosphere, lively music, colorful parades, elaborate costumes and celebrity performances. It is a great opportunity for visitors to experience some of the best Uruguayan culture, such as traditional dances and music, as well as spectacular street decorations. From parades and masquerades to street concerts and live performances, Carnival Montevideo Uruguay offers something special for everyone.
Tell Us About Carnival Montevideo Uruguay
Carnival Montevideo Uruguay is an annual celebration held in the capital of Uruguay, Montevideo. It is a festive and colorful celebration that takes place for several weeks in the lead up to Lent. The festivities involve parades and colorful costumes, live music, dances, decorations, food stalls and lots of fun for everyone. It is also a great opportunity to learn more about the country’s culture and traditions. Most of the festivities take place in the city’s streets, plazas and parks.
The highlight of the event is the Grand Parade, which attracts thousands of people from all parts of Uruguay. During the Grand Parade, a variety of floats carry musicians, performers and parties throughout the city. The celebration culminates on Mardi Gras, with a spectacular fireworks display.
What are the Things to do in Carnival Montevideo Uruguay?
Things to do in Carnival Montevideo Uruguay are:
- Join in The Street Parties – Carnival Montevideo Uruguay is one of the most vibrant and lively carnival celebrations in South America, and at this event you’ll find a host of street parties – or ‘blocos’ – taking place throughout the city. This is a great way to join in the local festivities and really soak up the culture and atmosphere of the carnival. Traditional Uruguayan music, parades, and dancing can be enjoyed at these open-air parties, which are often followed by impressive fireworks display.
- Take a Ride on the Ferris Wheel – Standing tall in the main square, El Palacio Salvo, the giant Ferris wheel is one of the star attractions at Carnival Montevideo Uruguay. Taking around 7 minutes to complete a rotation, it offers fabulous views over the bay and city, and at night it provides some fantastic photo and video opportunities. A truly romantic affair, why not take a trip on the wheel with a loved one?
- Enjoy a Show at Teatro Solis – This 18th century theater plays host to all sorts of performances throughout Carnival Montevideo Uruguay, including theatrical shows, orchestra concerts, ballet, traditional music and dance performances, opera, and more. Showcasing some of the finest talent in Latin America, you can expect to be thoroughly entertained.
- Visit the Carnaval Museum: Carnaval Museum in Montevideo is located in the old city center of Ciudad Vieja and is home to many of the traditional costumes, masks, drums, and other instruments used for the Carnaval celebrations. The museum gives visitors an in-depth look at the history and culture of Carnaval in Uruguay.
- Check out the Samba Parades: Every year during Carnaval, the streets of Montevideo come alive with colorful Samba parades that parade down the boulevards and streets, with the performers dressed in elaborate costumes and carrying drums and instruments playing music. It is a vibrant, lively and highly entertaining spectacle.
- Attend a Reaper Dance at Carnival Montevideo: The Reapers Dance is one of the classic dances performed during Carnaval. The dancers, dressed in intimidating shrouds and masks, move slowly and gracefully to the somber tone of music while they scare off evil spirits.
- Enjoy the Firework Show: Every night during Carnaval there is a spectacular firework show that lights up the city’s streets and skies. The show includes out of the box displays and amazing pyrotechnics.
- Try interesting food at Carnival Montevideo: Carnaval is an excellent opportunity to try local Uruguayan cuisine. From the traditional choripán – grilled chorizo in a toasted bun – to mouth-watering empanadas, there are plenty of delicious options to explore.
- Join a Boat Parade: Every night during Carnaval, dozens of decorated boats take part in the colorful Boat Parade in Montevideo harbor. The parade is accompanied by music and fireworks, with locals and tourists alike cheering and celebrating near the shore.
- Dance with the Strangers: Street carnivals can be found all around Montevideo during Carnaval, with hundreds of people taking part in elaborate dance performances. It is an impressive and exception spectacle, and it is a great opportunity to lose yourself in the music and join in the dancing.
- Play Murga at Carnival Montevideo: Murga is a traditional music and dance performed in groups during Carnaval. Rehearsals are held year-round in schools and theaters throughout the city. The performances usually feature some kind of social commentary, political satire, and comedic skits.
What are the Best Foods at Carnival Montevideo Uruguay?
The best foods at Carnival Montevideo Uruguay are:
- Chivito: Uruguay’s national dish and Carnival favorite, it is a sandwich made with steak and lots of toppings.
- Sandwiches de Miga: Light and fluffy sandwiches filled with meat, cheese, and other ingredients.
- Choripan: Delicious grilled chorizo served on a bun.
- Empanadas: Hand-held pastries stuffed with assorted fillings.
- Chajá: A sandwich with turkey, ham, and cheese.
- Fried Calamari: Fresh squid rings fried to crispy perfection.
- Piri-piri Chicken: Chicken wings seasoned with a spicy sauce, served with a side of fries.
- Papas Rellenas: Potato croquettes filled with meat, vegetables, and spices.
- Chicharrones: Crispy fried pork rinds, best enjoyed with a cold beer.
- Alfajores: Traditional Uruguayan cookies with a unique dulce de leche filling.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Carnival Montevideo Uruguay?
The best hotels in Carnival Montevideo Uruguay are:
- Carrasco Hotel & Casino (4 stars)
- Hyatt Centric Montevideo (5 stars)
- Casona de los Twist (4 stars)
- Home Base Boutique Hotel (3 stars)
- Hotel Moana (3 stars)
- Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel (4 stars)
- Nime Hotel Boutique & Kitchen (3 stars)
- Hotel Spain (3 stars)
- Hotel Palacio Santiago (4 stars)
- Hotel Rincon de Arroyo (3 stars)
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!