El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain
El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain Summary
- Attraction: El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain
- Country: Spain
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Madrid
- Language: Spanish
El Escorial is a popular destination for tourists in Spain. It is most famous for being the palace and home of King Philip II and a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is an impressive and historically significant site which represents a unique example of Renaissance architecture. Tourists enjoy visiting the royal palace and its complex of buildings, gardens and chapels. This is also home to the library, which contains over 40,000 books and manuscripts, the Pantheon of Spanish monarchs, the Royal Crypt and the San Lorenzo Museum. The nearby Valle de los Caídos (Valley of the Fallen), a memorial to the victims of the Spanish Civil War, is also a popular draw for tourists.
Tell Us About El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain
It is a municipality located in the Province of Madrid, Spain, situated to the north-west of the capital in the mountainous region of Sierra de Guadarrama. It is home to the world-famous Monastery of El Escorial, a 16th century royal palace and monastery built by King Philip II of Spain as a symbol of his power and authority and a center of heritage and learning. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is considered one of the most important Renaissance monuments in Europe.
El Escorial itself is a picturesque village located at the foot of the mountain of El Escorial and is home to 4,919 people, according to the latest census. The town is known for its beautiful monuments and for the spectacular views of the mountains and nearby forests. It offers an array of outdoor activities such as hiking, horse riding, hang gliding, golf, and mountain biking. There are also plenty of cultural activities such as visits to the monastery and an annual cultural festival with live music, dance and theater performances.
What Things to do at El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain?
Things to do at El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain:
- Visit the Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial: Explore the historical palace, church and monastic site where Spanish royalty are buried.
- Tour the Museo-Biblioteca of El Escorial: View the one of the most important book and art collections in the world.
- See the Valley of Los Caídos: Visit the mausoleum built in honor of those who died during the Spanish Civil War.
- Explore the Palacio de la Granja de San Ildefonso: Tour the nearby summer palace, with its elaborate gardens, trails, and Baroque and neoclassical buildings.
- See the Silla de Felipe: Climb the steepest mountain in the region to the throne-like rock formation that was a favorite spot of Philip II.
- Visit the El Escorial Town Square: Appreciate the historical architecture, restaurants, cafes and shops around the town square.
- Enjoy La Herradura: Relax and take in the views of this lake and beach in the Sierra de Guadarrama mountain range.
- Explore the House of the Infante Don Luis de Borbón (Casa del Infante): Enjoy the art exhibitions at this historical residence of the King of Spain.
- Discover the Aqueduct of Segovia: Explore the almost 2,000-year-old ancient engineering marvel with its elegant arch stone bridge.
- Take a hike along King Philip II’s Way: Enjoy the beautiful nature of the region and its interesting historical monuments.
What are Best Foods at El Escorial Madrid Spain?
Some of the best dishes to try at El Escorial Madrid include:
- Tortilla de patatas (potato omelet)
- Paella Valenciana (seafood paella with various vegetables)
- Cocido Madrileño (chickpea stew)
- Callos a la Madrileña (tripe stew)
- Croquetas (fried béchamel ball filled with jamón)
- Gazpacho (cold tomato soup)
- Jamón Ibérico (Iberian ham)
- Patatas bravas (fried potatoes with spicy sauce)
- Huevos a la flamenca (scrambled eggs with tomato, onions, and paprika)
- Churros con chocolate (fried dough dipped in hot melted chocolate)
What are Best Hotels to Stay in El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain?
The best hotels to stay in El Escorial Madrid Municipality in Spain:
- Manzanares El Real Hotel.
- Hotel Monteprincipe.
- Hotel San Francisco El Grande.
- Hotel Rural Nueve Islas.
- Hotel El Bosque.
- Hotel El Manzano.
- Hotel Antonio Casona Real del Monasterio.
- Hotel Real Palacio.
- Hotel El Molino.
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
More destinations please? Park Guell is one of the most interesting places to visit in France. Scroll down and click the button for more information.