Valley of Cocora Colombia Los Nevados National Park
The Valley of Cocora is a stunningly beautiful valley located in the heart of Colombia’s Los Nevados National Park. It is home to the national tree of Colombia, the iconic wax palm, and is surrounded by towering mountains and lush, green meadows. With its diverse plant and animal life and stunning scenery, it’s no wonder that the valley is a popular tourist destination.
Valley of Cocora Colombia Los Nevados National Park Summary
- Attraction: Valley of Cocora
- Country: Colombia
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Bogotá
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Colombian Peso
- Nationality: Colombians (Spanish: Colombianos)
Valley of Cocora is considered one of the most beautiful places in Colombia and is a must-visit destination for people visiting the country. Its stunning scenery is characterized by tall wax palms—the tallest palm trees in the world—and rolling green hills, making for some breathtaking views. It’s a great location for hiking, horseback riding, birdwatching, and more. The valley is home to over 140 species of birds and provides a range of activities for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
Tell Us About Valley of Cocora Colombia
Valley of Cocora is a natural reserve located in the Colombian Andes. It is famous for its wax palms, which are the tallest palm trees in the world. The wax palms give the valley an otherworldly atmosphere, and the winding trails that lead through it offer breathtaking views. The reserve also features a diverse range of flora and fauna, including exotic birds, plants, flowers, and several endangered species of animals. The nearby cloud forest provides a home for the endangered Spectacled Bear. While the valley is a popular tourist spot, it is also considered sacred by the local indigenous population, the Guambiano.
What are the Things to do in Valley of Cocora Colombia?
The Valley of Cocora, located in Colombia’s Los Nevados Natural National Park, is a stunningly beautiful location and offers a variety of activities for travelers.
First and foremost, visitors to the valley can take in the breathtaking landscape. The valley is filled with tall wax palm trees, some of the tallest in the world, which attract a wide range of wildlife, including numerous bird species. There are also lush meadows, streams, and waterfalls, in addition to typical Andes mountain terrain. Visitors can take a guided tour to explore the area’s hills, mountains, and wetlands, or they can go on a short hike to explore the area further.
In addition to admiring the scenery, visitors can take part in some of the activities available. Horseback riding is a popular option and gives visitors a unique way to explore the area’s scenery, as well as experience some of the local culture. For the more adventurous traveler, rock climbing, caving, and zip-line tours are also available.
The Valley of Cocora is also a great place for nature lovers. There are bird-watching tours and guided treks designed to identify native birds and other wildlife. Plus, the nearby Salento town provides a great opportunity to learn about the local indigenous culture.
For those looking for a little more adventure, the valley is home to Nevado del Cocopén, an active stratovolcano. Visitors can take an all-day trek to get up close and personal with the volcano, with a tour guide to ensure their safety. Once at the top, visitors will have the chance to see some amazing views of the entire valley below.
Finally, the Valley of Cocora is home to a handful of nearby waterfalls, where visitors can go for a swim and adventure. For a less strenuous activity, visitors can check out the restaurants, cafes, and artisanal shops located in town.
All in all, the Valley of Cocora is an ideal destination for travelers looking to experience some of the best that Colombia has to offer. From the stunning scenery and wildlife to the various activities, visitors can’t go wrong with a visit to the Valley of Cocora.
What are the Best Foods at Valley of Cocora Colombia?
Some of the best foods at Valley of Cocora Colombia include:
- Arepas: The arepas are Colombia’s national dish and can be found in almost every corner of the country. They are made from corn dough and filled with various ingredients.
- Colombia Style Fried Rice: Fried rice is a staple in the cuisine of many parts of Colombia, and the Valley of Cocora is no exception. The rice is cooked with vegetables, coconut, and spices.
- Cheese Empanadas: Empanadas are pastries filled with a variety of ingredients, including cheese and vegetables.
- Patacones: Patacones are fried green plantains that are popular in the region.
- Trout: The rivers in the area are a great source of trout, which is best grilled or fried.
- Raspao: Raspao is a Colombian version of a snow cone, usually made with fruit flavors like lulo or passion fruit.
- Tamales: Tamales are made from portions of ground corn or masa and filled with vegetables, fruits, and cheeses.
- Ajiaco: Ajiaco is a hearty soup made with potatoes, chicken, and three types of potatoes.
- Bandeja Paisa: Bandeja paisa is a plate of various meats, rice, beans, and fried eggs.
- Frijoles: Frijoles are a healthy staple of Colombian cuisine that are popular in numerous dishes.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Valley of Cocora Colombia?
The best hotels to stay in Valley of Cocora Colombia are:
- La Cabaña Hostal & Lodge – Located in the heart of the Valley of Cocora, this charming and rustic property offers guests comfortable rooms, a delicious breakfast buffet and spectacular views of the surrounding landscape.
- La Casa Verde Cocora – Situated within the Valley of Cocora, this hotel provides rustic yet luxurious accommodation in a peaceful and picturesque setting.Spacious rooms, a restaurant and bar and a lovely outdoor terrace are on-site.
- Hotel el Refugio de Cocora – Enjoy true luxury at this boutique hotel, with individually designed rooms, a sunny terrace and top-notch restaurant serving up organic, sustainably-sourced meals. It’s the perfect place to enjoy the stunning landscapes of the valley.
- Hosteria Estrella de Cocora – Experience the wonders of the Valley of Cocora in comfort at this hotel, which offers a cozy and relaxed atmosphere in a convenient location. Rooms have wooden interiors, flat-screen TVs and private bathrooms.
- Finca las Pavas – Located in the heart of the Valley of Cocora, this boutique hotel offers guests a tranquil atmosphere, with charming rooms and villas each with their own garden, perfect for refreshments and relaxation. A perfect spot for nature-lovers.
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Medellín is one of the most favorite places to visit in Colombia. Scroll down and click the button for more information.