Puerto Plata Dominican Republic Historical City
Puerto Plata is a city located on the north coast of the Dominican Republic. It is the capital city of the province of the same name and a famous tourist destination. It is known for its abundant beaches, stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean and the majestic mountain range of Isabel de Torres. There is a wide range of activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming, and various other water sports, as well as plenty of shopping, dining, and nightlife experiences.
Puerto Plata Dominican Republic Historical City Summary
- Attraction Name: Puerto Plata Dominican Republic
- Country: Dominican Republic
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: Santo Domingo
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Dominican Peso
- Nationality: Dominicans
Puerto Plata Dominican Republic is an incredibly diverse and beautiful destination located in the Dominican Republic. It is one of the best places to go to experience all that the Dominican Republic has to offer. Puerto Plata boasts stunning beaches, lush tropical rainforests, mountain ranges, vibrant cities and towns, and a lively and authentic Caribbean culture.
You can also indulge in some of the finest resorts and attractions in the Caribbean, including world-famous Dunas de Nagua, Isabel de Torres Mountain and teleferico, Playa Dorada, Ocean World Adventure Park, Victoria Park, and much more. With so much to do and see, no trip to Puerto Plata Dominican Republic should be missed.
Tell us about Puerto Plata Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata is a city located on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, in the province of the same name. It is known for its beautiful beaches (such as Playa Dorada and Playa Imbert) that give the city its nickname: The City of Golden Beaches.
Aside from its beaches, Puerto Plata is also home to a number of intriguing historical and cultural attractions. These include the Fort San Felipe and the Amber Museum, which showcase some of the Dominican Republic’s rich history. Other nearby points of interest include the Columbus Aquarium, Nature Adventure Park, and the Sosua Beach Boardwalk.
What are the things to do in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic?
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic is a captivating city boasting beautiful tropical beaches, lush mountains and awe-inspiring colonial architecture. Here is a list of the must-see attractions and activities for tourists in this amazing destination.
- Ocean World Adventure Park: Experience a world of exciting and interactive attractions, including an ingeniously designed beaked whale hydro-theaters, an aviary with tropical birds, sea lions, sharks, dolphins and more.
- Cabarete Beach: This scenic beach is the ideal spot for learning how to windsurf or kiteboard, go horseback riding, enjoy delicious beachside restaurants, or just relax and take in the Caribbean blue waters.
- 27 Charcos: Enjoy a thrilling journey in a four-wheel drive vehicle along the rugged, mountainous roads of Puerto Plata to the stunningly blue and refreshingly cool waters of 27 Charcos, the 27 separate waterfalls located in the nearby rainforest.
- Amber Museum: Located in the heart of the city, the Amber Museum is a must-see for all visitors, showcasing a wide variety of natural Dominican amber specimens and jewelry.
- Rum Factory Tour: Puerto Plata is home to the world-renowned Flor de Caña rum, offering an interesting factory tour with a museum, a cinema and interesting displays of their renowned liquors.
- Fortaleza San Felipe: Constructed in 1577, the San Felipe fortress was once part of the city’s military defense system, located on the hill of El Moro de Puerto Plata. The panoramic views of the city from the fortress are spectacular.
- Cofresi Beach: Named after the famous Puerto Rican pirate Roberto Cofresi, this beach boasts beautiful sunsets and is perfect for swimming or even renting a banana boat.
- Cable Car Ride: For an unparalleled view of the city and its surrounding beaches, take a cable car ride to the top of Mount Isabel de Torres.
- Go Scuba Diving and Snorkeling: With plenty of beautiful dive sites around the island, scuba and snorkeling enthusiasts will be in their element in Puerto Plata.
- Horseback Riding: Enjoy a romantic horseback ride along the beach, or go on a more rugged journey into the mountainous regions surrounding the city.
Puerto Plata is a paradise for adventure seekers and beach lovers alike. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing holiday or an action-packed experience, you’ll be sure to find something to enjoy in this Caribbean hotspot.
What are the best foods at Puerto Plata Dominican Republic?
The best foods at Puerto Plata Dominican Republic are:
- Sancocho: A rich, hearty soup or stew consisting of diverse meats and root vegetables.
- La Bandera Dominicana: white rice, red beans cooked in sofrito, and chicken or pork cooked in tomato sauce.
- Mondongo: Tripe stew cooked with onions, bell peppers, garlic, oregano, and tomato sauce.
- Mangú: Mashed green plantains, served either with eggs or with salami and cheese.
- Chivo Guisado: A succulent stew of tender goat meat and vegetables.
- Morcilla: Blood sausage often served with mangú.
- Yakí Santo: A marinated pork, chicken, or beef dish cooked with Dominican spices.
- Habichuelas con Dulce: A creamy stew of sweet cookied beans with coconut milk, topped with shredded coconut and ground cinnamon.
- Chicharrón: Deep-fried pork rinds.
- Platano Maduro: Ripe plantains fried and served with garlic sauce.
What are the best hotels to stay in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic?
Some of the best hotels to stay in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic include:
- Ocean World Resort & Casino
- Iberostar Costa Dorada
- Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort
- Viva Wyndham Tangerine
- Vicuba Hotel Boutique
- Amani Retreat by Rixos
- Bahia Principe San Juan
- Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada
- Hotel VH Gran Ventana
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!