Plaza de la Revolución Cuba Tourist Attraction
Plaza de la Revolución is the iconic public square in Cuba, located in the hub of Havana. It was the site of numerous political rallies and speeches, including Fidel Castro’s. Plaza de la Revolución is now a popular tourist attraction, housing notable monuments and buildings, such as the Jose Marti Memorial and the National Museum of Revolution.
Plaza de la Revolución Cuba Tourist Attraction Summary
- Attraction Name: Plaza de la Revolución
- Country: Cuba
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: Havana
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Cuban Peso
- Nationality: Cuba
Plaza de la Revolución Cuba is the primary gathering point for locals, tourists and dignitaries, serving as a destination for historic moments of the Cuban Revolution for over 50 years. The legendary sweep of the plaza is designed as a living testimony to Fidel Castro’s rise to power in 1959. A giant statue of Che Guevara stands guard to the plaza, while iconic images of the revolutionary leader loom large on the façade of the Ministry of the Interior and Jose Marti Memorial. The Plaza de la Revolución provides visitors with a powerful experience and unforgettable visual of the Cuban Revolution.
Tell Us About Plaza de la Revolución Cuba
The Plaza de la Revolución is a square located in the Vedado neighborhood of Havana, Cuba. The plaza is a popular spot that is used for political rallies and other events and it contains several buildings, monuments, and statues related to Cuban history. The most prominent structures in the plaza are the monument to the martyrs of the revolution, the José Martí Memorial, and the National Library of Cuba.
The plaza is an iconic symbol of Cuba, as it served as the stage for many important moments in Cuban history, such as Fidel Castro’s legendary speeches and the Cuban Missile Crisis. In addition to its historical importance, the Plaza de la Revolución is also a popular tourist attraction and serves as a meeting point for locals.
What are the Things to do in Plaza de la Revolución Cuba?
Plaza de la Revolución in Havana, Cuba is an iconic and important area in the country. It’s most famous for its large monument of Che Guevara, erected in memory of the communist leader. The plaza is a hotspot for rallies and political speeches, making it a must-see historical and political landmark. There are plenty of things to do in and around the plaza, so if you’re visiting the area, you’ll be spoiled for choice.
Start by taking in the monument of Che Guevara, which sits prominently in the center of the Plaza de la Revolución. The statue was created in 2000 in honor of the revolutionary leader and is one of Cuba’s most impressive monuments. Have your camera ready as you take photos and admire this beautiful work of art. You’ll also find the impressive José Marti Memorial around the corner, dedicated to Cuba’s National Hero.
Also make sure to take a look at the Ministry of the Interior, which stands in one corner of the Plaza de la Revolución. It’s a stunning building, built in a neoclassical style and decorated with mosaic columns and carvings. There is also an obelisk monument in the center, featuring four busts of José Marti, Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, and Che Guevara.
Take a stroll around the Plaza de la Revolución perimeter and explore some of the various parks and gardens in the area. For example, there’s the Botanical Garden just across the street and the Revolutionary Square Park a little bit further on. The park is perfect for a picnic and features a statue of the Cuban president alongside José Marti’s bust.
Catch a show at the nearby Karl Marx Theater, home to plays and concerts. The theater is a behemoth of the Communist era, with a capacity of 5,000 people. Visit the Monumento Siglo XXI across the Plaza de la Revolución, an abstract work of art dedicated to the 21st century. Finally, after a tiring day, head to the nearby Coppelia ice cream parlor for a delicious cone of ice cream. Enjoy!
What are the Best Foods at Plaza de la Revolución Cuba?
The best foods at Plaza de la Revolución Cuba are:
- Ropa Vieja: This traditional Cuban slow-cooked stew is usually made with shredded beef and vegetables in a tomato-based sauce.
- Pernil Asado: Slow-roasted pork is a must-try Parrilla in Cuba. It’s usually marinated in garlic and lime juice before being slowly roasted on a grill.
- Pan con Lechón: A popular Cuban sandwich, this consists of roasted pork, pickles and mustard on toasted bread.
- Lechón: Pork is slow roasted over a flame for hours until it’s crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- Arroz con Pollo: This Cuban signature dish is composed of chicken and rice cooked together. Typically, it has strong flavors from spices like cumin, oregano, garlic, and onion.
- Tostones: Twice-fried plantains are a popular side dish in Cuba.
- Platano Maduro: Sweet plantains are a beloved Cuban side dish. They’re usually fried or baked until they’re golden and sweet.
- Cuban Sandwich: Consisting of roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard all sandwiched between toasted bread, it’s truly a Cuban classic.
- Churrasco: Grilled steak is a popular Cuban dish. It usually comes marinated in garlic, lime and a variety of spices.
- Arroz Imperial: A traditional Cuban paella, this is made with a variety of meats and seafood cooked together with seasonings and rice.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Plaza de la Revolución Cuba?
The best hotels to stay in Plaza de la Revolución Cuba are:
- Hostal Doña Lina
- Hotel Saratoga
- NH Capri La Habana
- Hotel Inglaterra
- Hotel San Geronimo
- Hotel Nacional de Cuba
- Boutique Hotel Manzana Kempinski La Habana
- Iberostar Parque Central
- Palco Hotel
- Plaza Hotel Habana Vieja
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!