Bolivia Best South America Countries to Visit
Ecuador is a constitutionally multilingual country located in South America, bordered by Colombia to the northeast and Peru to the southeast. Its varied terrain, containing Amazon rainforest and the Galápagos Islands, both of which are protected by UNESCO, offer visitors a wide range of activities, from climbing volcanoes to rafting its lush rivers. Its rich cultural and ethnic diversity create a vibrant and welcoming atmosphere, making Ecuador a perfect place to explore.
Bolivia Best South America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Bolivia
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: La Paz, Sucre
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Bolivian boliviano (BOB)
- Nationality: Bolivian
A brief description of Bolivia
Bolivia, located in South America, is one of the most geographically and culturally diverse countries in Latin America. It is home to the largest population of indigenous people in the region. It boasts breathtaking natural beauty such as the majestic Andes Mountain range, the Amazon basin and the largest salt flat in the world, Salar de Uyuni. Its intriguing culture is a mix of pre-Inca and Inca cultural influences, colonial Spanish culture, vibrant tribal beliefs and socialism.
Bolivia is a burgeoning destination for eco-tourism and romance, with its breathtaking landscape, an abundance of wildlife and its unique culture.
What are the Things to do in Bolivia?
There are many things to do in Bolivia as listed below:
- Visit La Paz: The “City That Touches the Clouds” is an impressive mountain capital and also the highest commercial capital in the world at 11,975 feet above sea level. Explore the unique markets and dine in the many restaurants and bars that dot the valley below.
- Admire the Colonial Architecture of Sucre: This colonial city is often referred to as the “White City” for its gorgeous buildings and peaceful atmosphere. Visit the main square, La Recoleta, for stunning views of the surrounding hills and marvel at the baroque and neoclassic buildings that contribute to Sucre’s rich culture.
- Wander the Witches’ Market in El Alto: Head up to El Alto to explore the vibrant markets of this city located above La Paz. The Witches’ Market sells traditional remedies and potions believed to possess healing powers, as well as good luck charms and talismans. You may even see llama fetuses being burned as offerings.
- Cycle Death Road: Descending 11,800 feet along a perilous path, this mountain bike descent is not for the faint-hearted. This infamous road out of La Paz is known for its spectacular views and adrenaline-filled ride.
- Cruise Lake Titicaca: The largest lake in South America, Lake Titicaca is home to the majestic floating Uros Islands, made from reeds, and the iconic Isla Del Sol, believed to be the birthplace of the Incan Empire. Enjoy a boat tour and soak in the magic of this incredible landscape.
- Explore Salar de Uyuni: The world’s largest salt flat covers over 10,000 square kilometers of the Bolivian Altiplano. Experience this stunning natural wonder, immortalized in photos of its sprawling salt flats and giant cactuses, for a truly unique adventure.
- Take a National Park Tour: Bolivia is home to some amazing national parks. The Madidi National Park is known for its amazing wildlife and landscapes, and the Andean Edge National Park is a great place to learn about Andean culture and geology. Both are great options for a day trip.
What are the Best Foods at Bolivia?
Some of the best foods to eat in Bolivia include:
- Salteñas: These traditional Bolivian pastry pockets, typically filled with beef and vegetables, are a delicious snack.
- Chairo: This traditional soup includes beef, potatoes, and various vegetables.
- Silpancho: This hearty dish consists of pork, rice, potatoes, and boiled onions served with a fried egg on top.
- Fritanga: Fritanga is made with a variety of deep-fried foods such as sausage, yucca, plantains, and more.
- Empanadas: Empanadas are stuffed pastries that can either be savory or sweet.
- Sajta de pollo: This spicy and flavorful dish is made with chicken, quinoa, and a variety of potatoes.
- Quinoa Soup: Quinoa soup is a traditional South American dish made with a variety of vegetables and spices.
- Humintas: This traditional Bolivian dish is made with cooked masa, cheese, and spices, then wrapped and steamed in a corn husk.
- Jugo de Leche: This traditional Bolivian drink is made with evaporated milk, lime, and spices.
- Sopa de Mani: This comforting soup is made with peanuts, potatoes, and a variety of herbs and spices.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Bolivia?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Bolivia. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- Hotel La Cabaña, Santa Cruz de la Sierra
- Hotel La Posada Del Arte, Cochabamba
- La Casa Del Parque Hotel & Spa, La Paz
- Vira Vira Hotel Hacienda Holocene, Choquecamata
- Hotel Tunqui, Sucre
- Bohemia Suites & Spa, San Pedro de Atacama
- Hotel Casa Grande, Potosí
- Palmar Hotel, Copacabana
- Hotel La Cupula, Salar de Uyuni
- Hotel Rosario Orchids, Samaipata
Best Attractions in Bolivia
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Bolivia.
No posts found!
The best cities that you must visit in Bolivia are La Paz, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Uyuni, Cochabamba, Potosí, Rurrenabaque. Sucre, Sorata, Tarija and Samaipata.
The best attractions in Bolivia you must visit are:
- Salar de Uyuni – the world’s largest salt flat
- Lake Titicaca – a large lake on the Peru–Bolivia border
- La Paz – the world’s highest administrative capital
- Madidi National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Valley of the Moon – a desert valley in the region of Moquegua
- Sajama National Park – home to Sajama volcano and the Sajama culture
- Yungas Road – a steep, winding mountain road built by the Bolivian government
- Potosí – a city famous for its silver mines
- Kaa-Iya del Gran Chaco National Park – a protected area that covers more than 10,800 square kilometres
- The Ruins of Tiwanaku – an important archaeological site believed to have been the capital of an ancient civilization
The best destinations you must visit in Bolivia are Salar de Uyuni, La Paz, Lake Titicaca, Sajama National Park, Madidi National Park, Coroico, Amboro National Park, Yungas Road, Rurrenabaque and Tiwanaku.