Asuncion the Capital of Paraguay
Asunción is the capital and largest city of Paraguay. It lies on the eastern bank of the Paraguay River—at the confluence of the Paraguay and Pilcomayo rivers—and is an important port and the commercial, political, and cultural center of the country. Founded in 1537 by the Spanish explorer Juan de Salazar, it serves as the headquarters for many national institutions. This capital is home to an array of prominent landmarks, including the Legislative Palace, the Panteón Nacional, and many colonial homes.
Asuncion the Capital of Paraguay Summary
- Attraction: Asuncion
- Country: Paraguay
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Asunción
- Language: Spanish and Guaraní
- Currency: Paraguayan Guarani PYG
- Nationality: Paraguayan
Asuncion Paraguay is a vibrant, historic city that offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors. This capital of Paraguay offers a variety of cultural experiences, including music, theater, and festivals which help to make visiting this city an unforgettable experience.
The city also features some of the most beautiful colonial-era architecture in South America, which makes a visit to Asuncion Paraguay an opportunity to discover the history and traditional culture of this fascinating country. Additionally, the city is home to numerous shopping centers, restaurants, and nightlife options, making it an ideal destination for travelers looking to experience the best of what Paraguay has to offer.
Tell Us About Asuncion Paraguay
Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay, is the oldest city in South America. It is located on the east bank of the Paraguay River and has an estimated population of 1.7 million people. The city is known for its colonial architecture, including the Panteon de los Heroes, the National Pantheon of Heroes, which contains the remains of individuals from Paraguayan history.
Asuncion is a major cultural and commercial center with numerous museums, cultural centers, shopping malls, and duty-free zones. Its port, Puerto Las Mercedes, is the gateway to the interior of Paraguay and plays an important role in trade and commerce. This vibrant city is home to Paraguay’s premier football club, Cerro Porteño. Asuncion also holds a number of events throughout the year including festivals, music concerts, and sports competitions.
What are the Things to do in Asuncion Paraguay?
Asuncion, Paraguay is a wonderful destination full of vibrant attractions, culture, and events. The city is perfect for visitors to explore as it provides a mix of both modern city life and traditional rural flair. Whether you’re looking for an exciting family vacation, a romantic gateway, or a trip filled with adventure, Asuncion has something for everyone. Here are some of the best things to do:
- Visit Casa de la Independencia. This historical landmark was the place where the independence of Paraguay was declared. The building is now a museum filled with artifacts and art, making it an excellent place to learn more about the history of Paraguay.
- Explore the city’s parks. Asuncion has multiple parks and gardens that are great for outdoor activities and sightseeing. Stroll through Botanical Gardens, cycle around Manuel Irazu Park, or take a boat ride down the Paraguay River.
- Discover the diversity of art in the city. Art galleries, museums, and streets throughout Asuncion are full of captivating artwork. From traditional art to contemporary graffiti, the city is perfect for finding unique art pieces.
- Try traditional Paraguayan food. Asuncion is home to delicious cuisine. Take a culinary tour and experience the local flavors, like guacho (“massive soup”), sopa paraguaya (“corn and cheesecake”), and Chipá (“cheese bread”).
- Enjoy some live music. Local musicians are often playing at bars, galleries, and festivals throughout the city. Jazz, tango, and Latin rhythms can be heard almost anywhere in the city.
- Do some shopping. Explore the vibrant markets or check out boutiques selling everything from clothing to crafts. There are also modern shopping centers with plenty of stores and restaurants.
- Take a nature tour. Paraguay is home to lush forests, wetlands, and rivers. Go bird watching, take a safari, or hike the trails in Mbatovi Natural Park.
Experience the best of what Asuncion has to offer and enjoy the city’s attractions. From learning its history to tasting delicious foods, there are many exciting things to explore.
What are the Best Foods at Asuncion Paraguay?
Asuncion, Paraguay is known for its hearty and delicious cuisine. Some of the best foods you can enjoy in the city include: Chipa Guazu, a savory corn-based bread; Sopa Paraguaya, a thick, cheesy cornbread; Tortilla, a corn-based flatbread; Mandi’o, a traditional pork and cassava stew; Bori-bori, a popular dish made with fish or chicken encrusted with yuca or corn meal; and Pepesando, a spicy soup made with beef and spices.
Asuncion also offers fresh fruits and vegetables, such as mandarins, oranges, watermelons, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and chayote. Delicious steak, roasted chicken, and other grilled meats are popular options, and don’t forget to try the freshly-caught seafood.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Asuncion Paraguay?
The best hotels to stay in Asuncion Paraguay are:
- Hotel Asuncion Premier Airport
- Sheraton Asuncion Hotel
- Los Cedrales Hotel Boutique
- La Mision Hotel Boutique & Spa
- Legado Mitico Boutique Hotel
- La Bougainvillea Lodge, Luque
- Tryp Itaugua Hotel, Itaugua
- Boutique Hotel Casa Sol
- Estancia Mburucuya Resort & Spa, Itaugua
- Hotel Del Portal Asuncion
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!